First, I want everyone to know David and I are doing well. We did stay locked down for two months, managing the vagaries of grocery delivery and baking up a storm. Now we go to the store well masked and keep our distance. A shelf inside our side door is the spot where we would drop off and pick up things to and from our friends who live next door—Doubletree Chocolate Cookies are my favorite treat to share.
Well, after two months of reading, napping, petting cats and spending way too much time on the computer, I actually wanted to get something done on the house. And so I refurbished a dozen six-pane window sashes and a pair of eight-pane (as well as doing minor work on half a dozen more sashes that had been done years ago.) For the old ones that meant popping out loose putty, removing peeling and alligatored paint, reglazing maybe a third of the panes and then sanding, priming and painting. It took me the better part of a month to do that.
When I was all done we were able to finish the east side, as these before, midpoint and done photos show. What’s the difference between the second and third photos?
See that white window in the attic? Well, that’s a vinyl one and it’s slightly shorter than all the rest so we had nothing to replace it. But then, during lockdown, the same person who gave us all the other windows—thank you Scott—called to say he had a few more. Turned out one set was the exact size for the attic opening! Took some time and effort to get it done — the “stairs” to the attic are really more of a ladder and you have to crawl for a bit until you get to the center where you can stand up — but we did. And got it done before the heatwave that has raised the temp up there to at least 110 degrees!
No work until it cools down, so for now just happy for the heat to give us a good crop of heirloom tomatoes. First time we’ve actually done it properly so will send some pics as we prepare for luscious BLTs.